A juicy, flavorful, and all around refreshing summertime meal. The chicken is marinated beforehand for extra flavor. This is a great recipe that can be easily adapted to your tastes and preferences. For instance, I do not tolerate Bell Peppers, so I just omitted them.
- 2 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts, cubed to 1-inch pieces.
- 2 cups Fresh Pineapple, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Zucchini Squash, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Cups White Whole Mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 Cup Red Onion, chopped, pieces separated
- 1 Cup Assorted Peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces (I omitted)
- 1 Tbs. Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 12 – 14 skewers, if using wooden, be sure to soak in water for 15 minutes prior to threading.
Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce:
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce or Soy Sauce Alternative (I use Coconut Aminos)
- 1/4 Cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tbs. Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
In a small mixing bowl, mix all Marinade/Sauce ingredients. Add the cut chicken to a gallon size zip lock bag, add half the marinade, reserving the other half. Marinate chicken for at least 1 hour. In a separate medium size bowl, add the cut vegetables and tomatoes, add oil, and lightly toss to coat vegetables.
Thread the skewers, alternating the Chicken, Vegetables, Tomatoes and Pineapple pieces, leaving some space on both ends of the skewers.
Meanwhile, add the remaining Marinade/Sauce to a small sauce pan, and cook on medium-low heat until it reduces by half, and becomes a syrup-like consistency. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Grill skewers over Medium heat (i.e. 350º-400º F on a gas grill) for 5 minutes each side, or until meat is cooked through (165º F). Baste kabobs with reserved sauce just before removing from the grill.
Serve Kabobs on a bed of cooked Brown Rice, or Riced Cauliflower. Enjoy!